Milestones of Our First Four Years
Narraguagus High School, where the 2015 student musical TimeWise was created, produced--and enjoyed by the community! Show logo design was created by cast member Desirée Grant
- SCAI's HOME BASE: Renovated our Center & its Studio; restored much of the property’s landscaping
- YOUTH THEATER:
- Created and directed a spring 2015 musical—Time-Wise: A Musical Journey—at Narraguagus High, the school's first theater production in 3 years. The performances were a great success, laying the groundwork for an ongoing drama program...
- ...Which we're reviving NOW with the enthusiastic support of the school, the district and other local organizations. We plan to make 2018's in-school drama club and planned May musical production just the beginning of an ongoing institution again at the Jr./Sr. High School. See how you can help through contributions or volunteering!
- Began offering private voice lessons in 2014, in person and via Skype
- Established an ongoing series of "TLC's - Tiny Little Concerts" in the Studio at our Center in 2015
- Hosted/publicized a 2-day residency in June 2016 by the DaPonte String Quartet, acclaimed as "Maine's Best Musical Group" in Downeast Magazine, which included school and library programs and a concert, in Milbridge, Harrington, and Steuben
- Began offering choir singers' & conductors' workshops in 2016, and launched a casual women’s singing group, “The Fishwives”
- 2017: concerts at collaborating regional venues: Schoodic Arts for All (Winter Harbor), and the Eastport Arts Center. New voice-teaching relationship with Ellsworth Community Music Institute
- Founded the Fish Point Writers year-round sharing & critiquing group in 2014
- In 2017, Inaugurated the annual fall "Milbridge Lit-Fest," a celebration of writers, good writing and delicious reading. Workshops/presentations are timed to coincide with National Novel Writers Month (NaNoWriMo), with support activities and retreats for writers completing a 50K-word novel in the 30 days of November
- CREATIVITY and ARTISTIC DEVELOPMENT:
- Facilitated an “Artist’s Way” group in 2014-15, in cooperation with the Women’s Health Resource Library (WHRL) in Milbridge
- Completed a course in Basic Volunteer Management offered by the Maine Commission for Community Service and United Way
- Attended seminars in tourism, economic & community development, social media for business, and creating a bike-friendly environment, offered by Sunrise County Economic Council, Making Headway in Your Community, Axiom Technologies, BikeMaine, and GrowSmart Maine.
- Provide, on an ongoing basis, free live music for organizations including Tidal Arts, Pleasant River Garden Club, Gateway:Milbridge, houses of worship, merchants' association events, and DETOP (Down East Table of Plenty)
- Served on the Board of Directors of the Milbridge Area Merchants Association (2014-16), and continue to help with its major annual events including Milbridge Days, Downeast Idol, and Breakfast with Santa
- Played a key role in founding Gateway: Milbridge, a downtown preservation & revitalization endeavor with an emphasis on the arts, and served on its Board of Directors (2015-17). Gateway's first project is to bring back the beloved Milbridge Theatre as a film & live performance venue for the area. We continue to encourage & applaud Gateway's efforts.
Recognition: Excellent coverage in the region's print media, including a major feature in The Bangor Daily News, a front-page article in The Machias Valley News Observer, and regular notices and photos in the Ellsworth American , Quoddy Tides, Coastal Courier and CountyWide newspapers.